Position(s): Two (2); one (1) in Thunder Bay, one (1) in Orillia
Type: Contract (Temporary)
Start/End: January-March (LUSU General Elections)
The DROs have the responsibility of assisting the Chief Returning Officer (CRO) to organize and oversee the elections and referendum process of the Lakehead University Student Union (LUSU). The DROs (one from each campus) are members of the Elections Committee, report to the Chief Returning Officer (CRO), and are required to assist the CRO to organize and promote the union’s elections.
● Promote and plan for the elections;
● Ensure the elections process is organized in a manner which is fair, efficient, and democratic; ● Be familiar with and adhere to the rules, procedures, policies and guidelines set out in the Governing Documents;
● Help the CRO:
○ Enforce the elections rules, approve campaign materials, receive complaints, and make rulings;
○ Facilitate a Candidates’ Debate during the by-elections and general elections; ○ Keep detailed records;
○ Write a complete report about the elections process for presentation at the LUSU Board of Directors meeting following the elections;
● Carry out all other DRO duties and responsibilities identified in LUSU By-Laws #1and#2.
● Applications from students and non-students will be considered;
● Successful applicants shall not seek office in elections, support or criticize any candidate, or endorse a position in any referendum;
● Applicants must be able to work flexible hours, and evenings and weekends if needed, based on the demands of the elections.
● Must be available to work on their respective campus in-person to enhance student engagement through tabling and managing campaigning activities.
LUSU is committed to the principles of employment equity. Applications from all qualified candidates are welcome; in particular, applications are encouraged from racialized people, Indigenous people, Disabled people, Queer and Trans people, and women.
Deadline: Thursday, January 19, 2023 at 4:30 PM ET
Interviews: Tuesday, January 24 and Wednesday, January 25, 2023
Please submit a resume and cover letter to Lahama Naeem, President, at email@example.com with the subject line “DRO Application.” Appendix A: Proposed By-Elections and General Elections
Timelines Winter General Elections (2023)
For all Executive and Board of Directors positions.
Nominations Period: Monday, February 6 to Friday, February 17
All Candidates Meeting: Friday, February 17 at 4:30 PM ET
Campaign Period: Monday, February 20 to Tuesday, March 21
Polling Period: Tuesday, March 14 to Tuesday, March 21 at 11:59 PM EST