Term: September 2022- April 2023
Hours: 10 hours/week
Pay: $16.50/hour, bi-weeklyThe Gender Equity Centre Coordinator is a safe and inclusive space on campus that empowers, respects and supports people who are experiencing oppression related to sex and gender among other forms of oppression. The Centre initiates and supports positive action and advocacy related to gender, socio-economic status, ethnicity, religion, culture, family life, sexual orientation, gender identity, and, disability.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Assist in managing the day-to-day Operations of the Centre such as:
- Being present in the Centre during scheduled hours;
- Maintaining a welcoming environment
- Being familiar with Centre resources and supports to assist students
- Provide support for students with respect to gender, race, class, ability, privilege, sexuality, sexual assault, physical or emotional abuse and harassment, parenting, relationships, and sex.
- Assist with overall maintenance of the Centre ensuring accessibility and complying with all Health & Safety regulations.
- Advocate and lobby within the University and Thunder Bay community in order to raise awareness of gender-based issues
- Assist with planning, development, and implementation of educational campaigns, social events, community-building events, and peer-support meetings as related to the Centre’s mandate
- Assist with event and campaign promotion on social media as well as on campus and in the community-at-large
- Assist with preparing and offering presentations on varying issues related to the mandate of the Centre to interested groups both on and off campus, including by locating relevant speakers or presenters.
- Assist with developing and managing the Centre resource library by locating books, articles, pamphlets, magazines, DVDs, and other media.
- Assist in the Development and execution of regular events such as but not limited to: International Women’s Day, Take Back The Night, Carry the Weight, etc.
- Other duties as assigned
Beneficial Qualifications and Experience:
- Familiarity with and passion about the mandate of the Gender Equity Centre
- An understanding of and a willingness to learn about current issues regarding gender identities, Gender-based violence, etc.
- Experience in engaging, recruiting, coordinating students.
- Experience with social justice campaigns and specifically, campaigns relating to feminist/gender-based issues.
- Skills in graphic design
Email: Ti Hiuser, GEC Coordinator, at email@example.com. Include a cover letter and resume. Please use the subject line “Application: Gender Equity Centre Assistant"
Application Deadline: Friday September 9, 2022 at 4:30 PM ET
Interview Dates: week of September 19-23
Please take advantage of the Resume and Cover Letter review services offered through the Lakehead Career Zone. Go to mysuccess.lakeheadu.ca to make an appointment.
Applicants should include their availability for both Fall and Winter semester in their application.