Term: September - March
Hours: 10 hours/week
Pay: $16.50/hour, bi-weekly
Pride Central is a student-led and funded service centre operated by the Lakehead University Student Union (LUSU). The Centre is open to all Members and aims to be a safe(r) space for Lakehead students of all gender identities and sexual orientations through education, advocacy, and support.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Assist in managing the day-to-day operations of the centre, including:
- Being present in the centre during scheduled hours
- Maintaining a welcoming environment by greeting and talking with students accessing the centre
- Being familiar with and locating available resources for students accessing the centre (books, games, pamphlets, clothing, etc.)
- Assist with overall maintenance and cleanliness of the centre ensuring accessibility and complying with health and safety regulations
- Assist in the planning and execution of regular events such as (but not limited to):
- Pride in the North
- National Coming Out Day
- Assist with the planning, development and implementation of educational campaigns related to the mandate of the centre
- Assist with preparing and offering presentations on varying issues related to the mandate of the centre to interested groups both on and off campus, including locating relevant speakers
- Assist in the promotion of Pride Central and its services, events and campaigns on social media, within the university and community at-large
- Advocate and lobby within the university and Thunder Bay community in order to raise awareness of issues and concerns of the 2SLGBTQIPA+ community surrounding gender, socio-economic status, ethnicity, religion, culture, family life, sexual identity, gender and sexuality-based violence, and disability
- Assist in developing and maintaining relationships with Lakehead University student services such as Student Health and Wellness, Residence Life, Student Success Centreand related departments such as Gender and Women’s Studies, Education, Nursing,Sociology, English, etc.
- Assist in ensuring that all activities conform to the rules, procedures, principles, policies and guidelines set out in governing documents, including the fulfillment of responsibilities as outlined in the constitution
- Other duties as assigned
Preferred Qualifications and Experience
- Priority will be given to 2SLGBTQIPA+ applicants from the student population
- Familiarity with and passionate about the mandate of Pride Central
- Demonstrates professionalism, strong communication skills, and leadership
- An understanding of and willingness to learn about current issues regarding gender identity and expression, and sexual orientation
- Experience in engaging, recruiting, and coordinating volunteers
- Experience on social justice campaigns including those relating to the 2SLGBTQIPA+ community is an asset, as is knowledge of anti-oppressive practices
- Ability to work independently and cooperatively with others
- Digital skills, including, but not limited to Microsoft Office, Google Suite, Instagram, and Canva.
Sam Mathers, Pride Central Coordinator, at email@example.com
. Include a cover letter and resume. Please use the subject line “Application: Pride Central Assistant”
Application Deadline: Friday September 9, 2022 at 4:30 PM ET
Interview Dates: week of September 19-23Please take advantage of the Resume and Cover Letter review services offered through the Lakehead Career Zone. Go to mysuccess.lakeheadu.ca to make an appointment.
Applicants should include their availability for both Fall and Winter semester in their application.